Thursday 3 January 2013

Moving house

Earlier today I saw some women moving house.  Literally. They were carrying the curved poles of their houses, called mins, on their backs. 

This week I returned to Korr after spending much of the long end of year school holidays travelling and staying in other places. I have missed the big open skies with bright sunshine, stunning sunsets and starry nights, and the friendly people here. I am glad to be back and excited about the year to come.

I have also moved house this week. I thought that I was travelling light and that moving would be a very quick and easy task. However, I ended up using a car to move my bags and boxes the few hundred metres. Compared to the local Rendille women I saw, I don't live as simply here as I thought. I certainly still have more stuff !

I will be sharing the new house with three American teachers arriving tomorrow. It is a large, basic, concrete house, with two bedrooms and a big kitchen/dining/living room. Clean water, solar electricity, satellite internet. Toilet and shower are just outside. I haven't shared with so many for many years...I hope it is going to be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment