Wednesday 17 April 2013

I'm an alien!

This week I got my alien card. Now I'm legal. I visited the Immigration Department last time I was in Nairobi back in November, stood in lots of queues and had prints taken of all my fingers. The card (and the temporary one I had from November until now) replaces the three month tourist visa I first had. It also means I get discounts at tourist attractions, great for the holidays!

So whilst the Sting song plays round my head I begin to think about where I'm from.

In Nairobi I sometimes say I am from Korr which is met with puzzled faces as few Nairobi folks have heard of Korr in the distant desert of 'upcountry' and also because I don't look Kenyan. 

In Kenya I am an alien. Not a green man from outer space but a foreigner. My alien card says my nationality is British and place of birth is United Kingdom. I am from UK, Solihull and/or Lincoln (I'm never sure where to say I am from!). So I am currently a resident of Kenya but a citizen of UK. No matter how long I stayed in Kenya I'd never fully fit in here.

This is like my eternal citizenship:

'They are not of this world, just as I (Jesus) am not of this world.' John 17:16

'But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ...' Philippians 3:20

I am a resident of this world, but my citizenship is in heaven. I am like an alien on earth. My place in heaven is gained not by a carefully completed application form or reference from the mission organisation but by Jesus. Jesus speaks to God on my behalf and God accepts me, not because I have done things right, but because Jesus paid for all the things I don't do right.

And because I am a citizen of heaven, I must not be surprised that I don't fit in completely here!




1 comment:

  1. Hannah, how long did you wait for your alien card to be ready? I am waiting already 3 months, and every time I go back there, they say "not ready yet". Is someone waiting for a bribe? Any words of advice? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete