Sunday 9 June 2013

Prone to wander

Yesterday I bought a camel bell from a local man called Lekuche who came to the school. I think he must have heard that some wazungus were interested in buying bells and I got a help in negotiating a good price. He came to the house just now with another, smaller one and I managed to do some bargaining on price, on my own this time, in Rendille. 
 
 
Camel bells are carved by hand from wood. Lekuche had cuts on his hands to prove it! The bells make a distinctive sound a bit like a wooden xylophone. I often hear the sound on the breeze as camel herds pass. And Jim and Laura have some hanging outside their house, like wind chimes.
 

Camels are vital to traditional Rendille pastoralists. I recently read it put like this:

"You can't understand these peoples if you don't understand that livestock is the spinal cord of their whole existence. Bank, pantry, symbol of power, of fertility, arsenal, soulmate, spirituality, work, pastime , spectacle, subject of conversation, of poetry, of song, exchange currency, reason for existing, for loving, for fighting and dying, livestock is everything and there is nothing outside of livestock. I have livestock therefore I am: that is the pastoral cogito." 

Not all camels wear bells. The camel in the lead wears one, but also the ones who are likely to wander off and get separated from the herd wear them. You don't want to lose a camel, so herders put bells round the necks of wayward animals. Hearing this fact this reminded me of a song that I like - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. One verse (below) mentions how I am like one of those wandering camels. Yet God loves me so much (even more than a Rendille man loves his camels) that he sent Jesus to rescue me from my wanderings.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment