Tuesday 27 November 2012

First stop: Nanyuki

Part way between Korr and Nairobi is the town of Nanyuki. Nick and Lynne rent a house in there.Nanyuki is on the equator and beside Mount Kenya. The highest mountain in Kenya is normally hidden in clouds and it became a joke about whether there is actually a mountain there. One day I did get a peek at the peak but I didn't have my camera with me. 

Despite being on the equator it is cooler in Nanyuki than in Korr, and also wetter, because of the altitude; a bit like a normal summer day in the UK!

This part of Kenya has very good farmland and there are lots of Indian and British owned farms in the area. There is also a British army base (where soldiers do desert and forest training) so there are lots of coffee shops and facilities for expats.

Shopping was strange, after weeks using what I had I suddenly had the opportunity to go shopping and also had choice. In a few weeks I will have the challenge of shopping for the next stretch in Korr.

Nanyuki was a pleasant re-introduction to downcountry ways of life. It felt like a treat to have mains electricity and water (rather than Korr’s solar and bore hole) and television, although there were power cuts and variable water pressure. I was able to eat out, ride in a tuk-tuk and go to an English speaking church.

Next stop: Nairobi
 

 


 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment