Sunday 10 March 2013

Meet...Tigger and Barok

Tigger and Barok are Nick and Lynne's dogs. They are big softies, who love being fussed over. They are very loyal to the wazungus (white people) and often come to school, follow me if I go for a run or wander up to our house if they are bored. At school it is like having two shadows and they will curl up under the desk in my office or squeeze into the classroom! I don't mind that but it can cause problems as they are less friendly to local people. The feeling is mutual, though, as Rendille people don't have great affection for dogs. They only keep dogs to ward off hyenas, consider dogs as dirty and don't look after them very well. Tigger and Barok, in contrast, are well cared for. Today Lynne and Nick left for a break in South Africa and have taken the dogs to stay elsewhere whilst they are gone. Although I'm not a 'dog person' I will miss the pair of them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment