Sunday 17 March 2013

The way, the truth and the life.

A different Sunday for me today. And a longer post! But persevere to the end and you'll get to the baby picture!

Travelling to 'Dubsahay, a ten minute ride in the back of a pickup.
Rather than going to church in Korr town, I went with a Korean family to 'Dubsahay, a one of the Korr go'obs (villages). They had arranged to meet with local people who wanted to find out more about God but who struggle to make the journey into town. There isn't normally a Sunday meeting in 'Dubsahay, and so we didn't know what to expect. However, the small building, normally used for nursery and adult education, was soon full with women and children. A few men came along later.

Before it really filled up and the children had to move to the floor.
They sang Rendille Bible songs and then Jisun took the children for Sunday school under a nearby large tree while Inho spoke to the adults. These Rendille people have a tough life and look forward to heaven. One of their songs speaks of how it is a wonderful, shining place and another speaks of how they get to heaven by faith. However, many Rendille (and many of the folks who were singing the songs) also cling to traditional tribal beliefs of ancestor worship and animal sacrifice. Yet the Bible is clear that it is only through Jesus we can spend eternity in heaven. Jesus himself said 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.' (and my new 'I Love Korr' t-shirt has this verse printed on the front!)
And whilst I was sad to see how far from God some of these Rendille folks are, I was reminded about how in the UK so many people are looking in the wrong place for meaning and purpose to life. For example, I so easliy look to things like being good at stuff, friendships, security, having nice things...when I should look to God all the time! When I value other things (which aren't necessarily bad things themselves) above God that it's idolatry, just like Rendille worshipping their ancestors. And God hates it. It is only through Jesus, who died to take the punishment that I deserve for my rebellion, that I can be free and come to God, now and for eternity. And it is costly. Costly for me and for the Rendille as we surrender our lives to God and have him change our hearts and priorities and practices. But it was most costly to God, it cost his son Jesus.

After the meeting I chatted with some of the people in my limited Rendille language, and happened to meet one of Nick and Lynne's workers who seemed pleased to see me and greeted me by my Rendille name Kokomo (means 'short'!). And we visited a few homes and chatted some more.

One special visit was to the home of a lady that Inho and Jisun had bought a goat for. It also turned out that she had a newborn boy, just three days old. I got to hold little Haricha, which is pretty special as women here don't go out until the baby is several months old so you don't see small babies out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment