Tuesday 11 September 2012

My first ride standing in the back of a pickup...

This afternoon I went out with Judy and some other Rendille evangelists to two go'obs. I rode there standing in the back of the pickup (see below) on a dirt track. After drinking chai in a min (one of the homes) I played games and sang some songs with some of the small children (the Okey Kokey went down well!). Then, in the shade of an acacia tree, Judy and her friends sang songs (wonderful Rendille tunes), shared stories from the Bible of God's love and forgiveness and prayed. I think I may have been more of a distraction so I held back at the second go'ob we visited! In the absence of trees they sheltered beside the truck.
 
Women and children were keen to hitch a lift in the pickup to the nearest water source. I counted at least 20 people (it was hard to count amongst the water containers whilst hanging on myself) squeezed on the back, along with the sticks to build one house! As we bounced along they soon started singing traditional songs with wonderful harmonies and leader/response parts. Combined with the tinkling of the women's head dresses it made an incredible sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment