Tuesday 18 September 2012

Various visitors

For the first two weeks I was here I think the local wildlife was being kind to me. I didn’t see many small (or large) creepy crawlies other than bees and wasps in my room and the occasional small lizard. The wasps and bees are pretty big and noisy but I am told they are normally harmless.

It seems that at the weekend they decided I’d had long enough to settle in. Cockroaches, beetles and spiders have all been to introduce themselves and most have survived! The most annoying of my visitors are moths; I hate the way they flutter in the light of my head torch and bathe in my basin of water.

Yesterday the pigeon, who lives in the roof, got confused by the washing blowing in the wind. He flew into my room instead of this nest. Try as he (and I) might, he couldn’t find the door. Meanwhile, I noticed a large, furry spider like the one in the picture. I would normally politely ignore spiders but I have been warned about this one and told it is best to kill them. Once I had ‘dealt’ with Mr Spider I resorted to getting the night guard to help with Mr Pigeon (using the only bird-like word I know in Swahili or Rendille - chicken!) and he managed to catch it.

You’d think that word would get out that I don’t welcome visitors to my room? Well, apparently not! This morning Mr Spider’s brother was brave enough to put in an appearance – see him pictured on my pillow! He didn’t last long either! 

However, I have yet to see a scorpion, a snake, a hyena or a lion…perhaps they will be the next visitors!?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment