Sunday 2 September 2012

Welcome to Korr!




 
Young herdsmen hurriedly cleared the dirt airstrip of their goats and sheep as the tiny six-seater MAF plane bumped to the ground. Children flocked round to see the plane. As I climbed out Nick and Lynne arrived in their well-used green Toyota pickup. They were here to meet me and drop off some other passengers who returning to Nairobi.
 
The plane soon left in a cloud of red dust and I'm left in the middle of nowhere. No roads. No street lights. No mobile reception. No proper shops. We have internet via satellite, solar electricity and an outhouse with pit latrine. The shower now has running water, only recently installed. Water from a borehole is pumped, using solar energy, up to a tank on a nearby hill. this creates the pressure in the taps and shower. By the afternoon the water is nicely heated by the sun so you can get a warm shower, a real blessing when it's so hot, dry and dusty.
 
I am living in a two-roomed prefabricated building next to Nick and Lynne's house and to start with will eat my meals with them. They have been very welcoming and have already shared some fascinating stories of their 30 years living here and the work of which they have been a key part.

I went to church this morning. Much of the meeting was in Rendille and the songs were in a traditional style, often unaccompanied. I quickly picked up the words for God and Jesus and was excited to see that, whilst the style of service is different to UK church, we all worship the same loving creator God who loves the everyone in the world so much that he sent Jesus to earth so that whoever believes in him can have eternal life. I am part of God's worldwide family!

Term starts this week here as well as in the UK and I'll find out what I'm going to be teaching. It looks likely that I'll be teaching a fair amount of English. There'll be lots of differences between Tirrim Secondary School and LCHS but I think I'll save that for a different post!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment